Monday, December 17, 2007

Man to catch a break!

Tonight was the last night of the basketball season for my 7th and 8th graders! And it was a night of high's and lows! The 7th grade team won 0 games all season, it was sad but they had fun and learned and improved a lot! Most of them had never played so they had a lot to learn!

The 8th graders had a rough year as well, from being low on numbers and inexperience to just not ever being able to get a break from the refs! What is it with small schools and sucky ref'in! Seriously!

My point guard is a good ball player, she averaged 20 points a game as an 8th grade girl, most varsity girls don't average that! Shes a good ball handler, good dribbler, awesome shot, and just all around good athlete. All season she as been working on perfecting the cross over. You know jump stop cross over, well tonight she had two perfect chances! Coming down the lane, one on one, slams down the jump stop (for some reason refs think girls can't jump stop cross over so you have to make it clear you jump stopped) and crosses over and scores, but wait there is a whistle, the ref calls TRAVEL! I freaked out! Yes mild me freaked. I took a deep breath walked to the end of the bench and asked him what she did wrong, thinking maybe he saw her suffle or something, nope, he says "you can't take steps after you jump stop!" um seriously I say? "it's called a jump stop cross over, you can't do that?" he says no! So I take some more deep breaths, stay at the end of the bench, the girls are playing at the far end...K my point guard steals the ball and is coming down again for a lay in 1 on 1 with a girl, again pounds the jump stop, crosses over, it's truely a beautiful thing. WHISTLE AGAIN! No FREAKING WAY! I said!So I ask the other offical, he won't even talk to me, seriously these guys are CLUELESS! Then the other one has the guts to say to me, " I have been ref'ing longer than you have been alive!" WHAT, ok that so doesn't make you a good ref, in fact maybe it's time you retire sir, I so want to say, didn't you ever watch the all mighty JORDAN? Hello! Then my assistant coach made a comment, under his breath, and guess what we got a T! HOLY COW! This guys is nuts! Absolutely freakin insane!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I know this post is from a long time ago and you're probably over it by now, but I am sooooo annoyed that, that happened!! The jump stop cross over is an amazing feat for a Jr. higher! What a moron! I hope they both hung up their whistles for good!