Sunday, February 3, 2008

And the Wait Begins!

A couple weeks before Christmas hubby said he would get me a new camera for Christmas/birthday/ 10th anniversary gift this year. I was so shocked and excited, I never expected this to ever be a possiblity, he knows that when I get a new camera it's going to be a major upgrade.

Well tonight I finally ordered one. Yep that's right almost two months later, I decided what I want (I hope) and decided where the best place is to order it (I hope) and hit submit!

Let me tell you a little story about how not to buy a camera on the internet, and let you learn from my stupidity/gulability.

I thought several online friends had said they shopped broadway photo (bwayphoto.com) so when I found a great deal ($1600) for the 5D body on the site, dh ordered it for me for Christmas! I was so beyond excited.Then, I got an email I had to call to confirm the order, so I did, after an million years on hold, getting discounected several times ect....I finally got thru to some guy that said he would place my order, after he checked my address, then he asks me why I want that particular camera, I told him why. He asked if I had lens to go with it, and what, even said, oh those are nice lens. THEN goes on to tell me I really don't want that camera, that I want the 40D, I told him I really want the 5D, he says well, you have to have a different battery, the one that comes with it doesn't last more than 20 mins.....(more $$$) you have to have a special high speed CF card the regular kind wont work (AGAIN more $$$) ect.....I get to the total, and he has added over $600 to my total! I said I couldn't do that, and told him to hold the order. Ok......confirmed that yes the battery would be nice but the battery that comes with it is very functional, lasts longer than 20 mins, confirmed with the canon site and Teresa (thanks!)that I could indeed use the CF cards I have.So called him back, said I wanted just the body, he said ok, put the order in.SO almost immediately I got an email it was back ordered! this was last week, still no update, this is my Christmas present remember, so I called today, again after hours on hold, disconneted ect.....finally got thru to a cs memeber who had to transfer me to the same stupid guy. Who tells me it's back ordered and will be till after Christmas (of course!) Then proceeds to try and sell me the (cheeper) 40D! I told him I don't want the 40D I want the 5D. And he THEN (after all this) tells me it's an imported model not the us model.......ok, I asked why that wasn't mentioned on the site.....it's not anywhere oh and the camera is still in stock on site, it specifically says IN STOCK! And says over and over again I wont be able to use the imported model in the US! The plugs are different, the language isn't changeable and isn't English ect....And asks me what I want to do, I am so fed up at this point that I canceld the stinking order.

Thank goodness I did. Because come to find out this is the ole bait and switch trick! They probably never had the camera to begin with!

So now I am gun shy, and there are rumors of a canon upgrade coming the end of Jan to the 5D so I decided to wait a bit and see what canon announced. And in the mean time still tossing around the idea of a 40D as well. After many long hours of research, and lots of patience waiting on canon, it appears there won't be un upgrade till late summer if then. So I orded the 5D, and I am so excited! I can't wait for it to get here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I can't wait to see your pics with the 5D. I too, would like to upgrade. :)

The Planet Pink said...

whoo hoo!! Happy Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary/every other random holiday!

Teresa said...

I don't know very much about the camera but I do know that I would be going CRAZY by now if I had to deal with the CS people that you talked to. :) I am so happy that you finally found a good deal with a reputable company! Can't wait to see the pictures!