Saturday, April 5, 2008

Day 4






Turtles! I Saw Turtles!




and that's all I need to say! LOL, but I will write more so in a few years I can look back and remember more clearly our wonderful vacation. I have the worlds worst memory!



We decided to drive to the North shore today, all week the wave forecast is pretty heavy so we weren't sure what we would find but figured what the heck and went for it. I was a beautiful 1 1/2 or so drive to the far corner of the opposite side of the island. Waves were definitly bigger, and there were lots more surfers (C what are the dudes that stand are their board and paddle with oars doing?) and wind surfers. Kauai is where Jurassic Park and 6 Day and 7 Nights not to mention a few other well known movies were filmed. This scenery reminds me a lot of both movies.













Aaron bought this cool book before we left that rates the snorkel spots, and easy of acess ect....well the beach at the end of the N shore road was suppose to be one of those great spots. Which maybe it was but there were so many people just in the parking lot we decided to turn around and work our way back to the south shore. There were some really neat caves there though.





We stopped at a beach called Tunnels, not sure why, I didn't see any tunnels, it was beautiful, Aaron wanted to snorkel, (the waves looked a little rough for me you will quickly figure out I have become a big fat wimp literally) but ended up not. So we just sat and soaked up some sun for a bit, it was the first time we sat on the beach for more than 15 mins with out it raining on us. There was a couple fishing just in front of where we were sitting. She was using a pole he used a net.

watching and waiting



tossing the net in




got one!







Then there are these




beautiful birds are a Red-crested Cardinal and are everywhere, this guy was posing for me, I was so glad I took my camera with me down to the beach, I have been leaving it in the car!





We stopped at the Princeville look out and saw the Taro fields ( I have no idea what Taro is but there were pretty, and grow in flooded fields sort of like cranberries)



Then on the way home thru the Tree Tunnel





And the obligiatory daily chicken picture





and some more beach pictures



by the time we got back to Po`pu area we had decided on checking out Koloa landing, there was no beach there just some rocks piled up, so I sat on the rocks and watched Aaron snorkel, I told him before he started that if he saw turtles he had to come back and I would force myself to go. (did I mention I am a big fat weanie now?) Well he found a turtle! So I went out and joined him, it was pretty deep and looked like a turtle shapped rock, but it was a turtle. In talking to some other people who were diving/snorkeling told us there were a bunch of them around the point. So after we got done we headed around the point a bit and sure enough you could see them right from the shore, these ones were surfacing and feeding, one flipped it's flipper in hello :) We plan to go back there and try to snorkel if the waves stay down on the south shore, the place is right on the rocks, so it will have to be pretty calm. Anyway the whole thing made my trip, I love turtles, now I just need to see some dolphins and I may never come home :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to stop reading your blog every day, because it's making me want to MOVE BACK... Jake is praising your name...because he would love to get back there...=) By the way--the men on the board with oars--it's called paddle surfing and it's the new trend... some people just row around and other actually catch waves... Mahalo...