Thursday, April 10, 2008

day 9

Today we took a catamaran cruise to go snorkeling on the Napali coast, which is only accessible by hiking in 11 miles one way or by boat. It was the most beautiful day we have had yet. I LOVE the freedom of being on the open water on a boat, and even more love the powerful calmness of sailing without power. Our captain was thrilled with the wildlife we saw, he said it was a rare day to see so many whales and dolphins. We saw a mama humpback whale and her calf, and then a pod?school? of 3 or 4 whales and several singles then several different groups of different types of dolphins too. My favorite part though was the snorkeling, the water was so clear and beautiful, (really the color it is in the pictures) and we got to swim with a green sea turtle! I adore turtles and this totally made my day, we saw one sitting on the bottom the other day snorkeling but this dude was gliding thru the water just under us! I took some pictures with an underwater camera and will update with them if they turn out :)

I really wished I had a bigger zoom for the whales, most of them were about 100 yds away so not the closest, the two that were close enough for awesome pictures didn't slap their tails or dive or surface or anything, they just swam along the top. Still amazing to see.









instead of chickens today you get snails
we saw both spinner dolphins and bottlenosed
look at how many of them their were!
Captain Quentin, Aaron and him talked hunting the whole way





do you recognize this rock?

it's from King Konglook, flat Stanley got to see the Napali coast lol

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bethie-- these are just STUNNING! Thanks for taking the time to share all these. XOXO, M